2013 Jessie Owens Classic
Site: Oakville Indian Mounds Address: 1219 County Rd 187, Danville, AL
- Take 565 to Decatur
- Turn Right onto Hwy 20
- Drive 4 miles, Turn Left onto Hwy 67
- Drive app. 1 mile, Exit Left onto 24 West (toward Moulton)
- Drive app. 18 miles to Hwy 157
- Drive app. 8 miles, Turn Left onto County Rd 187
- 1 mile down, arrive at Oakville Indian Mounds
Drive Time : – 1 Hour 10 minutes … According to Mapquest, but remember: This is a BIG race – over 200 teams are entered so traffic may be extreme!
You must be there ONE HOUR BEFORE your race!
- 9:40 Varsity Girls – Gold Girls (Open Elite Div) (Championship Div)
- 10:40 Varsity Boys – Gold Boys (Open Elite Div) (Championship Div)
- 11:40: JV Boys – (Large schools Div)
- 11:00: 1st Awards Ceremony Begins
- 12:00 JV Girls – (Large schools Div)
- 12:45: Last Awards Ceremony
Date: Saturday Oct. 5th, 2013
– The State Championship Course: (maps at www.alabamahighschoolrunner.com) Some shade, 5-6 short hills, grass, packed small gravel, very scenic, wooded trails, fast, great spectating and a great wide starting area!
– Shower facilities available.
– Mile splits, overhead mile markers
– Refreshments for runners upon completion of the race (sports drink & water)
– Plenty of Medics are available! Also, they will have a MD on staff!
Free Admission for spectators
Weather: As of Wed(pm), it’s looking good! Rain is not supposed to come in until LATE.
8am – 64deg Partly Sunny
9am – 63deg Partly Sunny
10am – 74deg Partly Sunny
11am – 79deg Partly Sunny
– Team awards to top 3
– Overall winner in each division wins a trophy!
– The winning team and coach in each division receive special team T-shirts!
– T-shirts will be on sale. The ones for sale will be different from the award T-shirts.
We have a good selection of snacks left from the last two weeks of meets. Plenty of peanut butter/cheese crackers, granola bars, potato chips, etc. Perhaps all we need is some fresh fruit, veggies, and some cookies and/or brownies.
- Orange Wedges – Kathy Ray
- Grapes – Dawn Hawkins
- Cookies – Dawn Hawkins
- Gatoraide – Tam Vander Schaaf
If you would like to bring other snacks, please fee free to do so.
We will have a lot of great food waiting on the team at the cookout at the Gover’s after the meet!